UPDATE: According to Montgomery County Fire and Rescue spokesperson Pete Piringer, the fire was caused by unattended hot oil that ignited. This extended into the kitchen’s ventilation system and ignited the grease that had built up. The fire then spread to the membrane of the roof and to the structural materials of the roof. Damages caused by the fire are estimated to be $225,000.
Update (10/13 ~4p) 8131 Ga Av,Silver Spring; Origin & Cause, unattended hot oil ignited, extended into ventilation system, igniting built up grease (which vented & extended to roof membrane & structural materials); Damage, total >$225K, incl ~$75K structure, >$150K contents https://t.co/dPV4XSWIGc pic.twitter.com/sUgZ8EQfqy
— Pete Piringer (@mcfrsPIO) October 14, 2022
A fire at the Fire Station 1 Restaurant & Bar yesterday afternoon likely started in the kitchen ductwork, according to Montgomery County Fire and Rescue spokesperson Pete Piringer.
MCFRS responded at approximately 4 p.m. on Thursday to a fire call at the Fire Station 1 Restaurant & Bar, located at 8131 Georgia Ave. in downtown Silver Spring, Piringer said. Firefighters arrived to find a fire in and around the restaurant’s exhaust system and a fire coming from the chimney. There were no hot spots or extensions in other parts of the restaurant’s chimney, shaft, or ductwork after the majority of the fire was extinguished. According to Piringer, as of 4:36 p.m., the fire had been extinguished, and no injuries were reported.
Update – 8131 Georgia Ave, fire in & around hood (exhaust) system of restaurant, checking hot spots/extension (IAO chimney/shaft/ductwork), bulk of fire knocked down, no injuries reported https://t.co/OxS6sdj81F pic.twitter.com/o6TNyw9HZv
— Pete Piringer (@mcfrsPIO) October 13, 2022
After firefighters responded to the fire, the northbound lanes of Georgia Ave. were closed between Sligo and Thayer, but reopened at approximately 5:45 p.m., Piringer said.
Photo: Pete Piringer / Twitter
— Liz Brent (@LizBrentMd) October 13, 2022