Council member Tom Hucker (right) presents a certificate of appreciation to Source cofounders Mike Mowery and Mike Diegel. Photo by Trish Rimo.
During the event, Councilmember Tom Hucker (D-District 5) presented a certificate of appreciation on behalf of the County Council and provided written comments.
“Since [Mike Diegel and Mike Mowery] launched Source of the Spring one year ago, the online publication has been an informative, go-to source for all things Silver Spring and Takoma Park,” Hucker’s statement read. “Having a solid source of local news like Source of the Spring is key to having a vibrant, cohesive community that’s livable and attractive for families, kids, businesses, workers and shoppers.
“Source of the Spring is a testament to Mike and Mike’s civic mindedness and dedication to our community. You can tell it’s a real labor of love for them. So let’s hope their labors continue for years to come and this anniversary is the first of many,” Hucker concluded.
Greater Silver Spring Chamber of Commerce President and CEO Jane Redicker also presented a certificate of congratulations to mark the occasion. Del. David Moon (D-District 20) delivered a citation on behalf of the Maryland General Assembly recognizing one year of covering local news.
Cofounder Mowery gave a short presentation that included results from a new reader survey that, among other things, showed that 89 percent of Source readers live in Silver Spring.
Other highlights from the survey include:
- 34.6 percent work in Silver Spring while 34.1 percent work in Washington, D.C.
- 15 percent are between ages 30-34 and 14 percent between 35-39
- 65 percent of the readership is female
- 49 percent want to read about county news and almost 13 percent want to read about local people.
Mowery also unveiled the top five most read stories over the past year:
- #1 Oriental East will close Sept. 30, posted 9/5/2017
- #2 Local entrepreneurs plan brewery, beer garden in Silver Spring, posted 9/19/2017
- #3 8407 to close, new restaurant group to take over, posted 10/12/2017
- #4 Quarry House Tavern & Adega Wine Cellars Update, posted 7/26/2017, and
- #5 Bonjour Waffles opens in downtown Silver Spring, posted 7/3/2017.
Mowery also thanked the attendees for their support over the past year, emphasizing that without it, the Source wouldn’t be where it is today. He also shared ways readers can continue to back the venture:
- Tell colleagues and friends about the site
- Share Source stories on social media
- Submit pictures, and content you want the Source to cover
- Utilize forums and comment on stories, and
- Help support the Source financially—donate, purchase a shirt, buy an ad, sponsor a post.
Greater Silver Spring Chamber of Commerce President and CEO Jane Redicker also presented a certificate of congratulations. Photo by B Tantisunthorn.
Del. David Moon presented a citation to the cofounders. Photo by Trish Rimo.