Fire Officials: Summit Hills Apartment Fire Caused by Overheating Cell Phone Charger

A cell phone charger overheated and caused a fire at the Summit Hills apartment complex on Wednesday, according to Montgomery Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson Pete Piringer.

Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Services (MCFRS) responded to the 1700 block of East West Highway near downtown Silver Spring at about 11:30 a.m. on Wednesday. The fire, which began in a third-floor bedroom at the Summit Hills apartment complex, displaced the residents of four apartments; one person was evaluated by EMS and declined transport.

The fire’s origin and cause were found to be a cell phone charger that overheated near combustible materials.┬áDamage caused by the fire is estimated to be around $600,000, Piringer said.

Photo: Pete Piringer / Twitter

Read More:
Java Nation to Unveil New Location in Downtown Silver Spring on March 6
Your Mastodon Instance