Updated at 9:20 a.m. to include the Wayne Ave. garage. Thanks to reader Brian P. for the catch!
The switch to Pay-by-Plate comes in the wake of a change to the county’s parking rates earlier this month, which included the charge for Saturday parking.
Pay-by-Plate works similarly to a single space meter where the customer estimates the time and pre-pays prior to leaving the garage.
The county’s Pay-by-Plate information page provides instructions for using the new system, including:
- Park your car and remember your license plate number.
- Locate the nearest centralized pay station.
- Enter your license plate number.
- Insert money (coins, bills ($1 and $5 only), credit cards).
- Press OK to finish the transaction.
- Take the receipt with you.
Parkmobile and Passport will be able to accept mobile payments following the conversion. Mobile payment can be used by entering the seven-digit zone number (3610001, for example), entering your license plate, choosing the duration, and then beginning the payment process.