A hardwired dishwasher likely caused a fire at a home in Aspen Hill on Saturday morning, according to Montgomery County Fire & Rescue Service spokesperson Pete Piringer.
A fire broke out in an unoccupied basement apartment of a two-story, single-family home in the 14400 block of Big Bear Court. Upon arrival, firefighters were able to extinguish the fire quickly, and it is believed that the dishwasher in the basement kitchen was the likely source of the fire.
The fire spread to nearby cabinets and melted the water line of an unattended ‘de facto’ sprinkler. The fire caused one person to be displaced and approximately $200,000 in damage, Piringer said.
Photo: © Владислав Легір – stock.adobe.com
Update (~10a 3/18) 14400blk Big Bear Ct, Layhill; 2-sty house w/ 2 basement apts; unoccupied at time; Origin/Cause, basement kitchen, likely involved dishwasher (hardwired power), extended to cabinets (melted water line, unattended ‘de facto’ sprinkler; Damage ~$200K; 1 displaced https://t.co/rHArvUuace
— Pete Piringer (@mcfrsPIO) March 19, 2023
If you appreciate what we do, please consider becoming a member. Thank you!