A fire at the Elizabeth House apartment building in downtown Silver Spring early Friday morning sent one person to the hospital and displaced several others.
According to Montgomery County Fire & Rescue Service spokesman Pete Piringer, firefighters responded at approximately 3 a.m. on Friday in response to a report of a fire at Elizabeth House. Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the fire in one apartment after arriving and finding it to be contained within the bedroom.
One person was rescued and taken to the hospital for treatment for smoke inhalation, and some residents were evacuated.
Several other apartments have been affected by water damage, and several people have been displaced as a result. Damage is estimated to be approximately $80,000, Piringer said.
Photo: © Сергей Васильев – stock.adobe.com
Update – Elizabeth House, automatic fire alarm, maintenance worker located fire (contained by sprinkler); FFs located 1 person in apt; Origin/Cause-electrical failure, electric cord to space heater; Damage, ~$80k; some Water damage (on 2-4 floors) many were vacant (renovation) https://t.co/qsrS7re478
— Pete Piringer (@mcfrsPIO) February 17, 2023
We are expanding our coverage, and we need your help. Click here for more information.