Several apartments in the Central apartment building in downtown Silver Spring were damaged by a kitchen fire Friday afternoon, resulting in 26 people being displaced, according to Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson Pete Piringer.
Firefighters responded to the Central apartment building in the 8400 block of Fenton St. in downtown Silver Spring at approximately 4 p.m. on Friday afternoon. Within minutes, the fire was extinguished and two people were evaluated for non-life-threatening injuries after the sprinkler system was activated.
18 apartments sustained varying degrees of smoke and water damage. The fire was caused by unattended cooking, and the apartment’s three occupants, including a small child, escaped safely, Piringer said.
Photo: Pete Piringer / Twitter
Update – Central Apts, Fenton St, Kitchen fire contained & extinguished by sprinkler system, (unattended cooking), three occupants including a small child got out, otherwise building evacuated, no injuries, 18 apartments (varying degrees of smoke/water damage, 26 people displaced https://t.co/sEFf9PBHZ1 pic.twitter.com/LYaMhGAzax
— Pete Piringer (@mcfrsPIO) January 6, 2023
We are expanding our coverage, and we need your help. Click here for more information.