Silver Spring Cares and CHEER are partnering with several Montgomery County agencies to host a coat drive and distribution to support the Long Branch community, County Executive Marc Elrich announced.
Coat collection will take place through Jan. 5 at locations across the county. Individuals can also make a monetary contribution via GoFundMe.
There is a goal of collecting more than 500 gently used winter coats of all sizes. Coats will be distributed at the Long Branch Community Recreation Center on Friday, Jan. 6, between 4 and 7 p.m.
Coats will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis, with a limit of one coat per person. The recipient must be present to receive the coat. Registration is not required.
“As we can tell from recent weather, having a proper winter coat is very important; unfortunately, for many County families they are costly purchases,” said County Executive Elrich. “I encourage everyone to donate new or gently used coats at this time of the year. I want to thank Silver Spring Cares Inc., CHEER, along with the Montgomery County Police, Montgomery County Recreation, and the Silver Spring Regional Services Center for providing this easy and accessible opportunity to help out our neighbors most in need.”
Starting today, coats can be dropped off at the following locations:
- Germantown Community Recreation Center, 18905 Kingsview Road, Germantown
- Long Branch Community Recreation Center, 8700 Piney Branch Rd., Silver Spring
- Nancy H. Dacek North Potomac Community Recreation Center, 13850 Travilah Road, Rockville
- Potomac Community Recreation Center, 11315 Falls Road, Potomac
- Wheaton Community Recreation Center, 11701 Georgia Ave., Wheaton
- White Oak Community Recreation Center, 1700 April Lane, Silver Spring
- 3rd District Police Headquarters, 1002 Milestone Dr., Silver Spring
Photo: © OlegDoroshin – stock.adobe.com