An overnight fire in the 700 block of Silver Spring Ave. was likely caused by a vacuum cleaner that was close to a mattress, according to Montgomery County Fire and Rescue spokesperson Pete Piringer.
At approximately 12:30 a.m. Sunday morning, MCFRS responded to a call for smoke coming from a two-story home on the 700 block of Silver Spring Ave. As of 12:50 a.m., the first floor of the building was free of smoke, with firefighters checking for possible further spread.
Based on the occupant’s statements and the fire’s pattern, Piringer believes a vacuum cleaner close to a mattress was the likely cause of the fire. It is estimated that the home incurred approximately $100,000 in damage after the sole occupant managed to escape safely.
Photo: Pete Piringer / Twitter
Update (~1230a 9/25) 700blk Silver Spring Av; single-family house; Area of Origin, 1st floor bedroom; Cause, (multiple competent ignition sources) Based upon statements from occupant/fire patterns, vacuum cleaner in proximity to mattress; Damage, $100K; no inj, 1 adult displaced https://t.co/GCmFasirFJ pic.twitter.com/NcP3VYY93S
— Pete Piringer (@mcfrsPIO) September 25, 2022
We are expanding our coverage, and we need your help. Click here for more information.