Four area woman-owned businesses have teamed up to collect essential items for women experiencing homelessness, poverty or other distress.
The four—AstroLab Brewing, El Golfo Restaurant, Green Owl Design and GoBrent Realty—are collecting bras, new underwear, and menstrual hygiene products, among other items, as part of a Galentine effort organized by Silver Spring Cares to benefit I Support the Girls.
ISTG is an international group of affiliates that helps women who are victims of domestic violence, victims of sex trafficking, refugees and evacuees affected by natural disasters, in addition to homelessness and poverty.
“This drive is an excellent way for Silver Spring Cares to build on our efforts to help people experiencing homelessness, impoverishment, or distress to stand tall with dignity,” Monica O’Malley de Castillo, SSC executive director, said in a press release. “These donations will allow someone to walk through the world comfortably. Such small gifts make a world of difference.”
Donations can be dropped off at the four locations during these times through the end of February:
- AstroLab Brewing, 8216 Georgia Ave., Tuesday & Wednesday, 4-9 p.m., Thursday 4-10 p.m., Friday & Saturday, noon-10 p.m., Sunday noon-8 p.m.
- El Golfo Restaurant, 8739 Flower Ave., Sunday–Thursday 11 a.m.-10 p.m., Friday & Saturday 11 a.m.-11 p.m.
- GoBrent Realty, 914 Silver Spring Ave., Monday–Friday, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., and
- Green Owl Design, 5303 Baltimore Ave., Suite 101, Wednesday–Saturday, 11 a.m.–6 p.m.
Donations of the following are accepted:
- Gently used or new bras of all kinds
- New underwear, and
- Sealed menstrual hygiene products (pads, liners, tampons, cups, reusables).
All hygiene products are accepted as long as they are individually wrapped or in a new, sealed box.
We are expanding our coverage, and we need your help. Click here for more information.