The Takoma Park Police Department will mark the annual National Night Out with events and displays from 6–9 p.m. on Tuesday, August 2, the department announced.
The event will be held at Piney Branch Elementary School at 7510 Maple Ave. and will include displays of police vehicles, the Maryland National Park Police Horses will attend, and there will be an appearance by McGruff the crime dog.
The police will provide child ID kits and fingerprinting, music for dancing, a dunk tank, face painting, a moon bounce, games and prizes, food and ice cream, among other attractions.
The event will entail road closures and parking restrictions. Maple Avenue from Philadelphia Avenue to Lee Avenue will be closed to traffic from 3–10 p.m., with no parking on Lee Avenue from Maple to Carroll Avenue at the same time.
In addition, Maple Avenue at Grant Avenue will be closed, as will Hancock Avenue at Grant, restricting residents at 7513 and 7515 Maple from leaving or returning home.
A detour will be in effect; vehicles trying to access Maple from Philadelphia will need to go up to Carroll, make a left onto Carroll and another left onto Lee to get to Maple. It will be the same for vehicles trying to access Philadelphia from Maple.
There will be similar events around Silver Spring, according to the Montgomery County Police Department:
- East County Community, White Oak Garden Apts. Mini Park, 11600 Lockwood Dr., 4–8 p.m.
- McKinney Hills-Carroll Knolls Civic Assoc., Flora Singer Elementary School, 2600 Hayden Dr., 7–9 p.m.
- Piney Branch, Bestway parking lot, 8540 Piney Branch Rd, 5–8 p.m.
- Hillandale Citizens Assoc., West Hillandale Swim Club, 915 Schindler Dr., 5–7 p.m.
- Downtown Silver Spring, 900-Blk Ellsworth Dr., 5–8 p.m.
- Northwood Four Corners Civic Association, Forest Knolls Pool, 11105 Fox Glove Lane, 7–9 p.m., and
- 515 Thayer Apartments, 515 Thayer Ave., 3–6 p.m.
National Night Out graphic
We are expanding our coverage, and we need your help. Click here for more information.