A portion of Piney Branch Road will be closed this weekend for roadwork. Graphic from Wikimedia Commons.
The Maryland State Highway Administration will close a section of Piney Branch Road (MD 320) this weekend to install a new pedestrian bridge over the road at the intersection with Sligo Creek Parkway in Takoma Park.
The closure will begin Friday (weather permitting) and all lanes are expected to be open on or before 5 a.m. Monday, June 5, according to a department press release.
Drivers can follow the detour onto to MD 410 (Philadelphia Avenue) to Fenton Street, then to Wayne Avenue to Flower Avenue to get back to Piney Branch Road.
The 1.9 million project will, in addition to allowing safe access to the Anacostia Tributary Trail, also:
- Realign the shared use path;
- Construct ADA-compliant sidewalks and ramps; and
- Upgrade traffic and pedestrian signals at the MD 320/Sligo Creek Parkway intersection.
During the completion of the work, crews will close one lane in either direction of Piney Branch Road from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Saturday. Drivers can get real-time traffic information at www.md511.org or by calling 1.855.466.3511.
In the event of bad weather, the work on the bridge will be done the following weekend.
- County Council Introduces Appropriation for Childcare Assistance - September 23, 2020
- El Sapo Reopens Today for Indoor Dining - September 22, 2020
- Picnickers at Nine County Parks to be Allowed Alcoholic Drinks - September 21, 2020