The Takoma Park Farmers Market 7th Annual Pie Contest is set for this year with a twist—for the first time, professional bakers can enter the contest.
The Old Takoma Business Association announced that contest would be held Sunday, Sept. 23, when bakers will enter their best one- or two-crust pies. The main ingredient of the pie—sweet or savory—must be a seasonal ingredient found at the market, and fillings must be homemade (homemade crusts strongly encouraged).
Bakers may enter as many pies as they like to be judged by:
- Mayor Kate Stewart
- Danny Wells, chef and partner, Republic
- Anna Goree, chef and partner, Seoul Food
- Angel Anderson, creator and curator, The Spice Suite, and
- Chris Brown, partner, Takoma Beverage Co.
Prizes will be awarded in the following categories:
- Best Apple Pie
- Best Peach Pie
- Best Other Pie
- Best Kid’s Pie
- Most Unusual Pie
- Yummy Mess Award, and
- Professional Baker.
Bakers must deliver their uncut, eight- or 10-inch pie to the corner of Laurel and Carroll avenues between 11-11:30 a.m.; judging will start at 11:30.
Beginning at 1 p.m., all pies will be sliced and available to the public for a donation, which will go to the Takoma Park Farmers Market SNAP Match Program.
Complete contest rules are available here.
U.S. Air Force photo by Airman 1st Class Dillon Johnston/Released
- Montgomery Planning Releases FAQ on 8787 Georgia Redevelopment - September 25, 2020
- County Council Introduces Appropriation for Childcare Assistance - September 23, 2020
- El Sapo Reopens Today for Indoor Dining - September 22, 2020