Calling all Boaty McBoatface fans — Takoma Park needs your help naming its new all-electric street sweeper vehicle.
The electric sweeper replaces the diesel-powered sweeper and will reduce the City’s use of fuel by 700 gallons per year, cutting the City’s greenhouse gas emissions by 3%. The City’s electricity source is 100% renewable through a combination of onsite solar and the purchase of renewable energy credits.
In addition to the fuel and greenhouse gas emission reductions, the EV sweeper is a much quieter engine, so the noise generated by the sweeping of streets will be reduced as well.
The City operates the sweeper from March through October, with the goal of sweeping each street at least twice a month. Additionally, the City uses the sweeper to clean up salt and sand used after snow and ice events to reduce the pollution of the area streams. Street sweeping is a component of the City’s stormwater management program and assists the City in meeting stormwater quality goals.
The winner of the contest will have the opportunity to have the winning name they submitted on the EV Sweeper, and ride in the sweeper during this year’s 4th of July parade, according to a news release.
The contest rules include:
- Submit a written name or illustration, or photo to contest entry
- Or use Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram and tag @takomaParkMD
- Submit via email: [email protected]
- Your entry must be submitted no later than Friday, May 19, 2023
- No more than 5 names can be submitted per individual.
- By submitting photos or images, you grant permission for your photo or image to be used by the City of Takoma Park on social media, websites, and any marketing campaigns without written consent.
- Judges: Public Works: Troy Fingal, Daryl Braithwaite and Library, Jessica Jones
Additional information and contest entry instructions can be found on the City of Takoma Park’s website.
Photo: Takoma Park City TV / YouTube