The 2017 National Night Out is tonight. Graphic via Vimeo.
Today marks National Night Out in thousands of communities across the country. Silver Spring and Takoma Park are no exceptions.
National Night Out is an annual community-building campaign that promotes police-community partnerships and neighborhood camaraderie to make neighborhoods safer places to live. Traditionally, people leave outdoor lights on to show their support, but many communities have a variety of events to promote the NNO, now in its 34th year.
These include block parties, festivals, parades, cookouts and various other community events with safety demonstrations, seminars, youth events, visits from emergency personnel, exhibits and so forth, according to the NNO website.
The Takoma Park Police Department National Night Out will be held at Piney Branch Elementary School, 7510 Maple Ave., from 6-9 p.m. tonight.
Here is a roundup of other community events in this area gathered from several sources, including the Montgomery County Police Department:
- Long Branch community at CASA Multicultural Center, 8151 15th, Hyattsville; time TBD
- Forest Estates at General Getty Park at 10000 Woodland Dr., 6–8 p.m.
- South Four Corners at South Four Corners Park (near the playground), 900 Forest Glen Rd.; 7–8 p.m.
- McKenney Hills/Carroll Knolls at McKenney Hills Park (end of Brunswick Ave. at park) 2515 Hayden Dr., 6 – 9 p.m.
- Hillandale community at West Hillandale Swim Club, 915 Schindler Dr., 5–7 p.m.
- Fairland Estates Civic Association, 13600 block of Colefair Rd., 5–7 p.m.
- Tanglewood Apartments Community Room, 9002 Manchester Rd., 5–7 p.m.
- Sligo-Branview community, location and time TBD (check with the association)
- Northwood/Four Corners Civic Association, Forest Knolls Pool, 11105 Foxglove Lane, 7–9 p.m.