Stories about local businesses have been the most widely read posts since the Source of the Spring launched in October 2016.
Last year was no exception, as all 10 of 2018’s most-read articles were about Silver Spring businesses, though it wasn’t always good news. They are:
- Medical Marijuana Dispensary Plans Grand Opening This Weekend (May 18) Co-owners (and wife-husband team) Zeina Frayha and Terry Saad open HerbaFi.
- Classics Co-owner Releases Statement Closing (Feb. 15) Elliott Rattley issued a statement about the news of the steakhouse closing (see Number 4 below), which the Source posted verbatim.
- Hen Quarter Closes Silver Spring Location (Oct. 22) Short-lived concept that replaced Austin Grill on Ellsworth Drive shuts down to be switched to a Matchbox Vintage Pizza Bistro.
- The Classics Plans to Close at the End of February (Feb. 12) Colesville Road steakhouse shuts down after four and half years.
- Tacos, Tortas and Tequila, Buena Vida Restaurants to Open Friday (April 30) New dual-concept Mexican restaurants take the place of 8407 Kitchen Bar.
- Bump ’n Grind Closes Ellsworth Place Kiosk (April 6) Safety issues force shutdown of spinoff of popular coffee shop.
- Pete’s to Close Wayne Avenue Location This Weekend (Sept. 28) New Haven-style pizza shop goes out of business in Silver Spring.
- Adega Wine Veterans Take Over Space, Will Open New Café (Dec. 13) Jarrod Jabre and Justin Wallace announce plans for Locavino Wine Café.
- Discovery Sells Silver Spring Headquarters Building (Sept. 6) Broadcasting company sells headquarters after 15 years in the downtown as it prepares a move to New York City.
- Noodles & Company In Ellsworth Place Has Closed (May 17) National chain shuts down its local operation.
Here’s to better local business news in 2019.
Photo courtesy HerbaFi.