Rendering of Central Silver Spring courtesy Grovesnor Americas.
While apartments and condos have been opening regularly in downtown Silver Spring, more than 3,100 additional units are in various stages of construction or planning, according to Urban Turf, a blog covering the area’s real estate news.
Residents can track all pending projects (not just residential) as well as those recently approved with this interactive tool from the county’s Planning Department. In the meantime, here’s a rundown of current residential projects.
- Central Silver Spring will open soon on the corner of Fenton Street and Wayne Avenue with 243 one- and two-bedroom apartments and loft-style townhomes. The complex is currently pre-leasing with occupancy planned for September.
- Solaire 8250 at 8250 Georgia Ave. will bring 338 units. Planned opening is spring 2019.
- Studio Plaza. The first phase of construction of 399 units is underway between Silver Spring and Thayer Avenues. When both phases are completed, the project will have a total of about 750 units.
In the Planning/Approval Process
- 8787 Georgia Ave., where Park and Planning’s headquarters is now, is in the early stages of planning to construct more than 400,000 square feet of residences in a mix of apartments and town homes, though the total number of units has not yet been determined.
- 900 Thayer Ave. has approval for 124 units.
- Elizabeth Square Two new buildings at 1424 Fenwick Lane will replace the current Elizabeth House senior living apartments with a planned total of about 600 apartments.
- Metro Plaza’s two-tower development would replace the current retail center at 1411 East-West Highway with about 550 apartments.
- Ripley II as originally envisioned would build 440 units at 8210 Dixon Ave., the former site of Progress Place. However, the developer has asked for additional height to allow for a grocery store and above-ground parking, so that could change.
The blog did not include the 58 units approved for a property on the corner of Silver Spring Avenue and Fenton Street. However, that property is for sale and plans could change.
Urban Turf has more detail on all the other projects.
- County Council Introduces Appropriation for Childcare Assistance - September 23, 2020
- El Sapo Reopens Today for Indoor Dining - September 22, 2020
- Picnickers at Nine County Parks to be Allowed Alcoholic Drinks - September 21, 2020