An electric scooter ignited a fire at the Twin Towers apartment complex in downtown Silver Spring on Friday afternoon, according to Montgomery County Fire and Rescue spokesperson Pete Piringer.
The scooter’s lithium-ion battery malfunctioned while charging, which ignited the blaze.
Piringer said a resident was in their bathroom and heard loud pops & explosions coming from the living room, where the resident’s electric scooter was charging. The resident was burned while attempting to move the scooter, which was on fire.
The residents of two apartments in the building were displaced, while the remainder of the building was able to reenter.
Fire sprinklers are not present in the building, according to Piringer. Battalion Chief James Carpenter said that the fire’s damage is estimated to be $50,000.
Photo: “Twin Towers – Silver Spring” by Farragutful is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
ICYMI – Twin Towers, Silver Spring; non-sprinklered building; single occupant home at time & in bathroom, heard loud pops/explosions & saw scooter on fire (electric scooter charging in living room); occupant was injured trying to move scooter & exited to hallway (& closed door) https://t.co/mwysMVZu5p pic.twitter.com/4aMiAHeJ6c
— Pete Piringer (@mcfrsPIO) October 29, 2022
Shortly after 2 pm this afternoon units from #MCFRS responded to a High-rise building fire in the 1100blk of Fidler lane- Downtown Silver Spring. Units found and extinguished a fire on the 14th floor. @mcfrsPIO @MCFRSNews
— James Carpenter (@mcfrsPIO33) October 28, 2022
We are expanding our coverage, and we need your help. Click here for more information.