Officials: Amazon Alexa Alerted Family of House Fire

Montgomery County Fire and Rescue officials say an Amazon Alexa device alerted a family to smoke inside their home during a fire early Monday morning.

The fire occurred in the 12600 block of Davan Drive in Colesville. Four adults and two children were awakened at approximately 1:45 a.m. by an Alexa alert. MCFRS spokesperson Pete Piringer said the family encountered heavy smoke & was able to safely escape the fire due to the early warning of working smoke alarms & Alexa.

According to Piringer, two electrical chargers were plugged into electrical outlets and charged an electric lawnmower and an electric bike. Ultimately, the fire started because the combustibles were too close to a heat source.

The damage estimate totaled $175,000, Piringer said. No one was injured. 

Photo courtesy of Amazon.com

We are expanding our coverage, and we need your help. Click here for more information.

Read More:
29-Year-Old Man Sentenced for December Shooting in Downtown Silver Spring

Sign up for our
Free Email Newsletters!

Stay connected to your community through our free email newsletters!
Emails are delivered daily to our 2,471 subscribers.

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.