Montgomery County Fire and Rescue officials say an Amazon Alexa device alerted a family to smoke inside their home during a fire early Monday morning.
The fire occurred in the 12600 block of Davan Drive in Colesville. Four adults and two children were awakened at approximately 1:45 a.m. by an Alexa alert. MCFRS spokesperson Pete Piringer said the family encountered heavy smoke & was able to safely escape the fire due to the early warning of working smoke alarms & Alexa.
According to Piringer, two electrical chargers were plugged into electrical outlets and charged an electric lawnmower and an electric bike. Ultimately, the fire started because the combustibles were too close to a heat source.
The damage estimate totaled $175,000, Piringer said. No one was injured.
Photo courtesy of Amazon.com
Alexa, save my life…
Just before 2am, a Silver Spring family was alerted to smoke in their home by #Alexa. The family (4 adults, 2 kids) encountered heavy smoke & were able to safely escape the fire due to the early warning of WORKING smoke alarms & Alexa. #lifesaver #family pic.twitter.com/XU4WNqBQSK
— MontgomeryCo(MD)Fire (@mcfrs) September 19, 2022
Update (9/19) Davan Dr; attached garage; Origin, shelving unit/electrical outlet NOTE: 2 electrical chargers, plugged in charging electric bike & electric lawnmower battery; Cause, combustibles too close to heat source; Damage. $175K; 4 adults/2 children displaced; No injury https://t.co/Vy9lcBbxbu
— Pete Piringer (@mcfrsPIO) September 19, 2022
We are expanding our coverage, and we need your help. Click here for more information.