Graphic from Maryland comptroller’s office
The annual Shop Maryland Tax-Free Week will begin Sunday, Aug. 12 and run through Saturday, Aug. 18, according to an announcement from Comptroller Peter Franchot.
Certain back-to-school items will be exempt from the six percent state sales tax during that week. Shoppers can choose any single qualifying article of clothing or footwear priced $100 or less, regardless of how many items are purchased at the same time. The first $40 of any backpack or book bag purchase also will be tax-free.
In addition, the comptroller’s office is once again joining the Maryland Retailers Association to promote a social media contest during the tax-free week. Two winners will receive $2,500 and $1,000 scholarships, respectively, to any Maryland university, college or trade school.
To enter the contest Maryland college students need to:
- Take a Maryland-themed photo or video while shopping
- Write a caption, and
- Post to Facebook, Twitter or Instagram with the hashtag #shopmdtaxfree.
MRA, which is providing the scholarships, will select the two entries that best reflect the spirit of Shop Maryland Tax-Free Week.
- County Council Introduces Appropriation for Childcare Assistance - September 23, 2020
- El Sapo Reopens Today for Indoor Dining - September 22, 2020
- Picnickers at Nine County Parks to be Allowed Alcoholic Drinks - September 21, 2020