Montgomery County photo
The county will hold a public hearing on possible revisions to the county’s charter at 7 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 18 in the Council Office Building, 100 Maryland Ave., Rockville.
The charter is the legal basis for county government. Current law calls for an 11-member Charter Review Commission to be appointed every four years to consider possible amendments to the charter. The CRC’s next report is due to the county council in May 2018.
Current amendments to the charter that are being considered include changing the number of council districts and at-large seats, changing the way the CRC is selected, and allowing voters to directly elect the council president, who would serve a four-year term.
Hearing participants may testify on any of these possible changes or raise other charter-related issues. Any recommendations for charter amendments would be considered by county voters.
In the 2016 elections, voters were asked to consider three charter amendments, all of which were approved:
- To allow the County Council to fill a vacancy in the office of the county executive by special election.
- To limit the county executive and County Council members to three consecutive terms in office.
- and that service of a term is defined as completing a full term and also partially completing a full term
- To amend the county charter to define partial service of a full term for either a council member or the county executive to mean service of more than two years of a term.
The hearing will be held in the Third Floor Hearing Room. To sign up to speak at the hearing, residents can call 240-777-7928 or submit a request via email.
Suggestions and comments also can be submitted to the Charter Review Commission in writing at Charter Review Commission, Montgomery County Council, 100 Maryland Avenue, 4th Floor, Rockville, MD 20850 or via email.
- Picnickers at Nine County Parks to be Allowed Alcoholic Drinks - September 21, 2020
- Fans Now Able to Attend Outdoor Performances with Restrictions - September 18, 2020
- Sections of Sligo Creek Parkway to be Closed Friday for Repairs - September 17, 2020