Park photo by Mike Diegel

The Pinecrest Local Park, adjacent to Pinecrest Elementary School at 301 St. Lawrence Dr., will close this month for extensive renovations, according to the Parks Department.

The 5.6-acre park, acquired in 1944 and developed into a park in the 1950s, includes a playground, tennis courts, softball field, multiuse field, parking lot and an activity building. A temporary chain link fence and orange blaze fencing will close off all park facilities during construction.

The renovations will include:

  • Reconfiguring and re-grading the fields and surrounding area
  • Constructing an internal loop trail
  • Improving the field drainage conditions
  • Correcting existing erosion problems and install stormwater management systems
  • Improving access throughout the park and existing pavement stubs, and
  • Retrofitting access to existing facilities to comply with the ADA.

The circulation trail will be accessible and will meet the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Architectural Barriers Act Accessibility Guidelines for Outdoor Developed Areas. It will connect to existing pavement stubs at Branch Drive, Cherry Tree Lane, the parking lot, and a sidewalk from the school.

The project is scheduled for completion in September of next year.

Mike Diegel

Co-Founder/Editor at Source of the Spring
Mike Diegel, a founding member of Source of the Spring, is a Silver Spring advocate who has been appointed by the county executive to several committees and task forces. He currently is a member of the Silver Spring Arts & Entertainment District Advisory Committee. His background is in journalism and he earned a bachelor of arts in communications from McDaniel College. He is self-employed as a communications consultant and is an active volunteer with Appalachian Great Pyrenees Rescue. He has lived for more than 20 years in Northwood/Four Corners with his wife Trish and multiple Great Pyrenees dogs. He is better known around Silver Spring as the Guy with the Big White Dogs.
Pinecrest Park to close for renovations