Park photo by Mike Diegel
The Pinecrest Local Park, adjacent to Pinecrest Elementary School at 301 St. Lawrence Dr., will close this month for extensive renovations, according to the Parks Department.
The 5.6-acre park, acquired in 1944 and developed into a park in the 1950s, includes a playground, tennis courts, softball field, multiuse field, parking lot and an activity building. A temporary chain link fence and orange blaze fencing will close off all park facilities during construction.
- Reconfiguring and re-grading the fields and surrounding area
- Constructing an internal loop trail
- Improving the field drainage conditions
- Correcting existing erosion problems and install stormwater management systems
- Improving access throughout the park and existing pavement stubs, and
- Retrofitting access to existing facilities to comply with the ADA.
The circulation trail will be accessible and will meet the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Architectural Barriers Act Accessibility Guidelines for Outdoor Developed Areas. It will connect to existing pavement stubs at Branch Drive, Cherry Tree Lane, the parking lot, and a sidewalk from the school.
The project is scheduled for completion in September of next year.
Follow Source of the Spring on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Sign up for our free Weekly Newsletter here. Learn how to submit events to our Community Events Calendar here. Please send tips and questions through our News Tips form, or email info [at] sourceofthespring.com. Learn how to support Source of the Spring here.
Latest posts by Mike Diegel (see all)
- Sligo Pit BBQ Opens at Sligo Creek Golf Course - April 22, 2019
- County Executive to Eliminate Jazz Festival, Consider Smaller Events - April 19, 2019
- GW Immediate & Primary Care Clinic to Close this Weekend - April 18, 2019