Small crowds gathered periodically Sunday to watch the work underway to raise massive girders over Colesville Road for the Purple Line.
Colesville will remain closed between Wayne Ave and East-West Highway until Tuesday, Feb. 18 at 6 a.m. and again as needed. Public notices will be issued prior to any closures.
Traffic is being detoured along Georgia Avenue, Spring Street, 16th Street and East-West Highway during the closures. Second Avenue is also being used by some drivers as an alternative route.
In the meantime, the Silver Spring Metro station, along with Forest Glen, Wheaton and Glenmont stations, remains closed on the Presidents Day holiday for Purple Line work.
Free shuttle buses will replace Red Line trains between Fort Totten and Glenmont, operating on two routes:
- Between Fort Totten, Silver Spring, Forest Glen, Wheaton and Glenmont. This shuttle will not stop at Takoma, and
- Between Takoma and Silver Spring only.
Photos by Mike Diegel
- Mrs. K’s Marks 90 Years in Business - April 2, 2020
- Council Approves $36.5 Million in COVID-19 Emergency Aid - April 1, 2020
- County, State Police Announce Policies for Enforcement of Stay-at-Home Order - April 1, 2020