Metro riders and local drivers will again face closed stations and a major detour this weekend as Purple Line work continues near the Silver Spring Transit Center.
Colesville Road will again be closed between Wayne Avenue and East-West Highway from 8 p.m. Friday to 6 a.m. Monday. Public notices will be issued prior to any future closures, which are expected to occur through April.
Traffic is being detoured along Georgia Avenue, Spring Street, 16th Street and East-West Highway during the closures. Some drivers also are using Second Avenue as an alternative route.
In the meantime, the Silver Spring Metro station, along with the Forest Glen, Wheaton and Glenmont stations, will be closed Saturday and Sunday for Purple Line work.
Free shuttle buses will replace Red Line trains between Fort Totten and Glenmont operating on two routes:
- Between Fort Totten, Silver Spring, Forest Glen, Wheaton and Glenmont. This shuttle will not stop at Takoma, and
- Between Takoma and Silver Spring only.
Photo by Mike Diegel
- County Board Approves Expanded Area for Downtown Planning Study - June 5, 2020
- Willow Street Yoga Closes Silver Spring Studio - June 5, 2020
- Life in the Time of the Coronavirus: Voices from Silver Spring—Ricky Speight - June 4, 2020