Photo of Sligo Creek from civispace.
At the Source of the Spring, we like to think of this time of year as “Sourcemas.” That’s when we kick back a little to stop and spend some time appreciating all the little things (and some not so little) that make this area a great place to live and work. Here are a few of them (in no particular order):
- Visiting the holiday light display at the Bishop’s House (1665 N. Portal Dr. NW)
- Walking or biking the trails along Sligo Creek or the Northwest Branch
- Attending the many festivals on Veterans Plaza
- Taking a child to play in the fountain on Ellsworth Drive
- Seeing the bands playing on Ellsworth Drive on a weekend night
- Going to the Ellsworth Urban Dog Park, either with a dog or just to watch the dogs play
- Browsing the racks at Joe’s Record Paradise or The Record Exchange
- Going to a concert at the gazebo in Takoma Park
- Hitting the farmers’ markets in Silver Spring on Saturday and Takoma Park on Sunday
- Exploring the shops and restaurants in Fenton Village
- Going to the Takoma Park Street Festival
- Enjoying the Silver Spring Summer Concert Series
- Seeing wildlife such as herons, foxes and more in parks and neighborhood yards
- Volunteering at one (or more) of the many local charities
- Spending time at the library in Silver Spring, Long Branch or Takoma Park
- Sledding at Takoma Park Middle School
- Sipping coffee at one of the independent coffee shops in the area
- Grabbing a pie at 50 percent off from Pete’s New Haven Style aPizza on Monday nights
- Sipping a cold one in Denizens’ beer garden (especially with your dog)
- Trying a new ethnic cuisine at any number of restaurants
- Seeing a movie or a film festival at AFI Silver Theatre
- Enjoying a concert at the Fillmore Silver Spring
- Ice skating on Veterans Plaza
- Attending the county’s Thanksgiving parade.
What do you appreciate about where we live? Tell us in the Comments.
Follow Source of the Spring on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Sign up for our free Weekly Newsletter here. Submit events to our Community Events Calendar here. Please send tips and questions through our News Tips form, or email [email protected]
Learn how to support Source of the Spring here.
See something around town? Tag your photos on Twitter & Instagram with #SourceShots.