- This event has passed.
Washington Folk Festival Favorites: A Live Stream Concert & Dance
June 6 @ 7:30 pm - 9:30 pmFree
A Pandemic won’t stop us from celebrating the very active cultures of our region! In a normal year, the first weekend after Memorial Day would find up to 10,000 people enjoying two days of music and dance at the Washington Folk Festival, a co-production of the Folklore Society of Greater Washington (FSGW) and the Glen Echo Park Partnership for Art and Culture (GEPPAC). While the Festival will not happen this year due to the pandemic, we will present a livestream concert and dance at 7:30 PM on June 6.
The livecast consists of two simultaneous streams of entertainment:
Concert & storytelling stream:
• Dede Wyland and Big Howdy, (Randy Barrett, Ira Gitlin, and Tom McLaughlin), progressive bluegrass band.
• Phil Wiggins and the Chesapeake Sheiks Trio. NEA Heritage Award winning blues harmonica player Phil Wiggins with Matt Kelley and Ian Waters.
• Elena Lacayo and Los Fulanos Trio, bilingual Latin folk band.
• Storytelling by Noa Baum and Tim Livengood
• April Blum and Janine Smith call a mix of English and contra dances, music by Trio Con Brio (Elke Baker – fiddle, Paul Oorts – guitar and accordion, Jonathan Jensen – piano) and English Echoes – (Liz Donaldson – piano, Becky Ross – fiddle, Ralph Gordon – bass).
• Lynn Baumeister teaches and leads a variety of French Bal Folk dances with music by Millevache (Leslie Barr, Sarah Gowan, and Bill Quern). Lynn and Leslie will be leading a pre-event French dance lesson on June 3 at 7:30 PM. Registration for the dance lesson is at https://fsgw.org/event-4327763.
Because events are submitted by members of the community, Source of the Spring does not verify the accuracy of event submissions. Please contact the Event Organizer(s) for more information. Learn how to submit your event to our Community Events Calendar here.