KIDfest, a free event from KID Museum, will be held Sunday, Sept. 23 from noon to 5 p.m. in the Silver Spring Civic Building.
The festival features hands-on activities and demonstrations of robotics, engineering, biotechnology and other subjects that give attendees a look at the future.
The event also includes two stages with live music, talks by local inventors, and other activities and demonstrations including:
- Pet PARO, an advanced therapeutic robot, which looks like a baby seal and can respond to voices or touch
- A portable, inflatable planetarium to investigate the night sky and constellations.
- Alexander Kao-Sowa, a teenage blacksmith, will teach attendees how to set up blacksmith operations in the backyard and demonstrate ornamental iron making.
- An exhibit from the Charles Koiner Center for Urban Farming Education where participants can learn how to use wildflowers from the farm to create water paints.
- Music Discovery Lab will provide instruction on playing handcrafted musical instruments.
- An opportunity to build electronic circuits, modify codes, and observe a robot’s response at the Science, Technology, Engineering and Math After School Academy’s booth, and
- A chance to drive a robot at the Blair Robot Project exhibit.
KID Museum is a Bethesda-based learning space that provides hands-on learning incorporating STEM, art, and culture with 21st century skills like creativity and critical thinking.
Kid-made robotics at KIDfest, photo by Edwin Remsberg Photography.
Follow Source of the Spring on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Sign up for our free Weekly Newsletter here. Submit events to our Community Events Calendar here. Please send tips and questions through our News Tips form, or email [email protected]
Learn how to support Source of the Spring here.
See something around town? Tag your photos on Twitter & Instagram with #SourceShots.
Latest posts by Mike Diegel (see all)
- State Plans to Resurface Portion of Colesville Road - December 12, 2018
- Upcoming Events, Dec. 12-19 - December 12, 2018
- Takoma Police to Conduct Active Shooter Training - December 11, 2018