Montgomery County Planning Department photo.
The county’s Planning Department will hold the first public meeting to discuss updating plans for Forest Glen and Montgomery Hills tonight at Park and Planning headquarters, 8787 Georgia Ave.
The department will start the process with a traffic study along Georgia Avenue from 16th Street to the Forest Glen Metro station, according to a press release. The planning area will include the Montgomery Hills commercial section.
The department lists the sector plan priorities as:
- Balancing regional traffic demands with the needs of enhancing and protecting the existing residential neighborhoods.
- Evaluating existing conditions and providing recommendations to guide future land uses along the Georgia Avenue corridor.
- Developing recommendations that improve the compatibility between the land uses adjacent to and along Georgia Avenue and the Forest Glen Metro Station property.
- Developing recommendations to improve pedestrian and bicycle accessibility, connectivity and safety within the plan area.
- Exploring opportunities for redevelopment at strategic locations to provide walkable, neighborhood-serving development.
The Forest Glen Sector Plan was last updated in 1996, and the North and West Silver Spring Master Plan, which encompasses Montgomery Hills, was released in 2000.
In addition, the Maryland State Highway Administration and the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority are considering improving conditions along Georgia Avenue and redevelopment at the Forest Glen Metro station, respectively.
Planning staff will present a scope of work to the Planning Board, tentatively schedule for Nov. 2. Once approved, staff will begin working with stakeholders to develop recommendations that would steer future development.
For more information, contact lead planner Melissa Williams, 301.495.4642 or [email protected].
Follow Source of the Spring on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Sign up for our free Weekly Newsletter here. Learn how to submit events to our Community Events Calendar here. Please send tips and questions through our News Tips form, or email info [at] sourceofthespring.com. Learn how to support Source of the Spring here.
Latest posts by Mike Diegel (see all)
- Sligo Pit BBQ Opens at Sligo Creek Golf Course - April 22, 2019
- County Executive to Eliminate Jazz Festival, Consider Smaller Events - April 19, 2019
- GW Immediate & Primary Care Clinic to Close this Weekend - April 18, 2019