Montgomery County Planning Department photo.
The county’s Planning Department will hold the first public meeting to discuss updating plans for Forest Glen and Montgomery Hills tonight at Park and Planning headquarters, 8787 Georgia Ave.
The department will start the process with a traffic study along Georgia Avenue from 16th Street to the Forest Glen Metro station, according to a press release. The planning area will include the Montgomery Hills commercial section.
The department lists the sector plan priorities as:
- Balancing regional traffic demands with the needs of enhancing and protecting the existing residential neighborhoods.
- Evaluating existing conditions and providing recommendations to guide future land uses along the Georgia Avenue corridor.
- Developing recommendations that improve the compatibility between the land uses adjacent to and along Georgia Avenue and the Forest Glen Metro Station property.
- Developing recommendations to improve pedestrian and bicycle accessibility, connectivity and safety within the plan area.
- Exploring opportunities for redevelopment at strategic locations to provide walkable, neighborhood-serving development.
The Forest Glen Sector Plan was last updated in 1996, and the North and West Silver Spring Master Plan, which encompasses Montgomery Hills, was released in 2000.
In addition, the Maryland State Highway Administration and the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority are considering improving conditions along Georgia Avenue and redevelopment at the Forest Glen Metro station, respectively.
Planning staff will present a scope of work to the Planning Board, tentatively schedule for Nov. 2. Once approved, staff will begin working with stakeholders to develop recommendations that would steer future development.
For more information, contact lead planner Melissa Williams, 301.495.4642 or [email protected].
- Takoma Park Seeks Citizen Preferences for Library Exterior Design - July 2, 2020
- Next Day Blinds Ceases Operations, Closes Stores - July 1, 2020
- Washington Revels Headquarters Listed For Sale, May Force a Move - June 30, 2020